The City of Norman requires a permit to have a garage sale. The cost of a garage sale permit is $10.00 and it can be purchased from the City of Norman at 201 W. Gray Street, Building "A", or The Norman Transcript, which is located at 215 E. Comanche Street. The garage sale application itself consists of a form which asks basic information such as name/address/dates of the sale. The form also includes information from the Ordinance listed below.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Q: Do I need to get a garage sale permit to have a garage sale ore estate sale? And how much does it cost?
A: Yes, a Garage Sale Permit is required. The cost is $10.00
Q: Where do I obtain a garage sale permit?
A: City of Norman/201 W. Gray Street, Bldg. "A" (366-5339) or The Norman Transcript at 215 E. Comanche Street (321-1800)
Q: How long does it take to get the permit?
A: Obtaining a Garage Sale Permit only takes a couple of minutes.
Q: Do I get a sign? How many signs?
A: At the time of Garage Sale Permit issuance, you will be given one (1) temporary sign to be placed in front of the sale location.
Q: Can I buy signs from retail stores to place at the end of my street?
A: No. Aside from the one temporary sign issued by the City of Norman, all other signs are illegal.
Q: What if it rains during the time I'm scheduled to have my sale?
A: If you are unable to have your garage sale at all, due to rain, you may bring your permit and sign back into City Offices the earliest possible day during the following week and Staff will reissue for another date.
CITY OF NORMAN CODE OF ORDINANCES
Chapter 13: Licenses and Occupations; Article IX GARAGE SALES
Section 13-901. Permits Required
(a) No person shall conduct or permit a garage sale, patio sale, porch or yard sale, or other similar sales upon the grounds of or within any dwelling or premises located in zoning districts A-1, A-2, RE, R-1, R-1-A, R-2, R-3, RM-2, RM-4, and RM-6, without having previously obtained a permit for such sale issued by the City.
(b) The provisions of this article shall not apply to or affect the following:
(1) Persons acting pursuant to an order or process of a court of competent jurisdiction;
(2) Persons acting in accordance with their powers and duties as public officials;
(3) Persons duly licensed as auctioneers selling at auctions;
(4) Persons participating in the City's annual city-wide garage sale.
Sec. 13-902. Permit requirements.
The permit required for the garage or similar sale shall:
(1) Contain the location of such sale, the name of the person holding the sale, the dates of the sale, and a signed statement by the applicant that the goods to be sold have not been purchased for resale;
(2) Be valid for a period not to exceed three
(3) consecutive days in length; (3) Not be issued more than twice to the same applicant during a calendar year;
(4) Not be issued where the sale location has been subject to two (2) previous sales during the calendar year.
Sec. 13-903. Signs.
Such sale may be advertised by the use of one (1) temporary sign placed in the front of the sale location.